Thursday, April 28, 2016

Porsha's Story

Porsha McConnell started at Girls' LEAP as a participant at age 14, continued as a Teen Mentor and then as a college intern was a Teaching Woman.  At age 23 she credits LEAP with making her the leader and advocate she is today.  Porsha shared her story of the lasting impact that her experience at Girls' LEAP has had on her life at our Annual Gala.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, my name is Porsha McConnell. I am a former Girls’ LEAP program participant, teen mentor and college volunteer (also known as teaching woman). I am 23 years old and in May I’ll complete my undergrad degree in Criminal Justice from Bridgewater State University. Currently I work for City of Boston, Division of Youth Engagement & Employment.

While working with the Boston Centers for Youth and Families I was introduced to Girls’ LEAP. When I was 14 I started Girls’ LEAP as a participant. At first, I hated Girls’ LEAP! 

My friends and I were terrors in class, we didn’t participate, we didn’t listen, and we made things hard for our teachers. I remember thinking, “I don’t need to be here, I know how to defend myself: I know how to fight!” I had a really bad attitude.

People told me I was intimidating. Originally, I wasn’t sure about the Teen Mentor Program. In the end I decided to turn in my application AND I’m really glad I did!

I stand here today because I. am. Girls’. LEAP. 

Through my experience, and the relationships I have developed with this phenomenal organization, I have become the leader and advocate I am today.
 
Girls LEAP taught me to break the silence. I have always been big on self-advocacy however, LEAP has given me that extra push to go outside myself and advocate for others.  I was taught how to use MY VOICE to empower and uplift not only young girls but also young people.


With this, I learned the importance of sticking together as women, Girls LEAP taught me to be unapologetic for whom I am, to value my voice, my strength (physical, mental and emotional) and my personal stake in empowering young girls daily. Most importantly, Girls LEAP has shown me that it is okay to say “NO!” …and mean it. 

I would like to thank you all for coming out tonight in support of this amazing organization, and thank you for listening."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment