Wednesday, January 27, 2016

What Being a Teaching Woman Taught Me

by Claudia Smith

I was wrapping up my sophomore year of college when I interviewed at Girls' LEAP. Pursuing the application process with nervous, passionate, and hopeful fervor, I was eager to be granted the position. I got the call shortly after my interview, notifying me of my placement as an intern in the office and as a Teaching Woman in one of the programs. I was thrilled to be given this opportunity, and spent a great deal of that summer imagining the greatness that would come with it - Self-defense skills! The chance to be a mentor! The space to put my passions to use! A great addition to my resume! Career building! New friends! Girls' LEAP was on a high pedestal in my mind. I couldn’t wait to start.

I completed the training weekend, interned in the main office for 14 weeks, and helped teach a program. All of my expectations were met during these months with LEAP. I got all of the things I imagined I would. But the kicker is I got even more.    

There is an enormous sense of strength that comes from girls believing in one another as well as in themselves, and this was brought to light during the training weekend. I felt the genuine power of togetherness here. This 20-hour, intensive three days provided us with the same lessons we would later be teaching to the LEAP participants. Together we stood, pronouncing our “no!”s in a group, holding shields for each other as we practiced the self-defense skills, and cheering each other on both when we were successful and when we were struggling. I developed long-lasting connections with many other like-minded college women, and such is likely due to this experience of being vulnerable, uplifting one another, and learning something new together. It was here that I witnessed the utmost empowerment- the strength within women, and the absolute importance of highlighting that and encouraging it in each other.

Shortly after this training weekend came the opportunity to teach these same skills to a group of 8 & 9 year old girls. Growing empowered was one thing, but working to empower others - especially younger girls - that was the most fulfilling aspect of my time with LEAP. I got to watch girls adapt, watch them improve, watch them grow stronger, and watch them gain confidence. Witnessing such important changes was both an honor and an empowering experience in itself.

My time with LEAP influenced my career goals, gave me insight on how to effectively make a difference, prompted perspectives on underlying issues and the need for these services, and inspired me to the highest extent. I am grateful to have had this time with LEAP, and highly recommend it as a placement for college women. I look forward to further pursuing the goals and ambitions I was able to develop here!

No comments:

Post a Comment