Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Watch Jameelah's Digital Story: Being Authentically Feminine

Jameelah's Digital Story: Being Authentically Feminine

  After one year of learning and growing as a teen mentor, I was able to make a strong individual assertion that yes, I am worth it. This statement is in the form of a digital story, a short film that teen mentors in the summer create to reflect on their experience in a meaningful way. My digital story is about being authentically feminine. 


One of the biggest takeaways I have from my experience as a teen mentor is that it takes courage to be authentic, but taking this positive risk is important because when we are authentic we are the best version ourselves. As a woman,it is especially important to be true to myself. Others would have me believe that there is a certain expectation for womanhood that ought to be met or a set standard for femininity. I have watched so many girls grow into themselves and each of them had a unique journey, just as I have. I now know that being authentically feminine is not only important, but necessary for authentic change to happen. My digital story outlines this very important journey that I was fortunate to be led onto by my mentors at Girls' LEAP. At the end of my journey I was able to say that I am worth it.

~ Jameelah

All season, we have been sharing the story of Jameelah, one of our former Teen Mentors. Working with Girls' LEAP had such a positive influence on her, and she has grown into a strong, confident young women.
Your gift by midnight tomorrow will ensure that Girls' LEAP can work with more girls like Jameelah to help them discover their strength and self-confidence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment