Friday, July 29, 2016

Meet Our Summer College Interns



Erika Marcinek, Teen Mentor Program Assistant:  I am currently a senior studying Gender Studies, Business, and Social Work at Skidmore College in upstate New York. With a passion for women's rights, social justice, mediation conflict resolution, and empowerment through education, I was drawn to Girls' LEAP because of the organization's agenda to help empower girls and women through physical, academic, and artistic avenues. I personally have taken a couple of self defense and rape aggression defense courses at my school but expect to learn loads more throughout my experience at LEAP! I love to dance, and I dabble in tap, modern, and flamenco. I also love listening to punk/rock/all-women's bands and host a school radio show during the school year.



 
Noely Mendoza, Team Leader: Hi! I am originally from California, but I love traveling and discovering new places. I am a student at Amherst College majoring in Film and Media. In my free time I enjoy baking, watching documentaries, and working out. I am super excited to be part of this summer's  Girls' LEAP program. I am looking forward to teaching young girls the importance of strengthening themselves physically and emotionally, and thereby building confidence that will benefit them both now and in the future. 
 
 




 
Alex VanRooyen, Team Leader: Hi! I’m Alex, I’m a sophomore at Columbia University studying human rights, and my interests including watching and playing sports, listening to music and spending time outside. I’m very excited to be part of the Girls’ LEAP team this summer! I’m looking forward to spending time with so many awesome women, having conversations about important social issues, and learning and teaching self defense!






Christina Joseph, Full Time Teaching Woman: Hi there! My name is Christina Joseph. I am studying Psychology and Studio Art at Framingham State. Some of my hobbies include arts and crafts, baking, and volleyball. You'll find me singing and dancing throughout the day, trying to pet as many dogs as I can. This summer I'm excited to learn about all the lessons Girls' LEAP has to offer me and its members. Also, meeting new people is pretty fun. I'm looking forward to that as well.
 
 
 
 
Shoshi Singer, Full Time Teaching Woman: Hello! My name is Shoshi Singer and I am delighted to be working with Girl’s LEAP this summer! During the school year, I attend Brandeis University where I enjoy taking classes in Psychology, Law, Biology, and Women and Gender Studies. I am a Resident Advisor for first year women and an active member in the Jewish community. This past year I performed in Vagina Monologues! I hail from Portland, OR where I enjoy exploring the great outdoors, tie-dye and socks and sandals. Looking forward to meeting you and hearing your story this summer!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment