Friday, November 20, 2015

Jameelah will inspire you to keep girls safe & strong

Our girls are growing up in world where violence is common and even seen as normal. Peer pressure, bullying, and sexual harassment lead to low self-esteem. 

At Girls' LEAP, we interrupt this cycle of violence by empowering girls with the strength and courage to thrive.

Jameelah is one of these girls. At age 16, she joined us as a Teen Mentor. She was experiencing low self-esteem from peer pressure and media images. She felt she was losing her identity and voice while trying to fit in.

At Girls' LEAP, Jameelah found the confidence speak up for herself and find her purpose.



Jameelah, former Teen Mentor
Girls' LEAP helped me discover who I am and then gave me the confidence to share who I am with the world. Before joining Girls' LEAP as a teen mentor, I was stuck inside of myself. Although I knew that I had something worth sharing, I wasn't yet sure what that something was and I definitely was not bold enough to let it out.

I learned how to connect with myself and find my purpose and then shared my purpose by connecting with other girls that I was teaching, and unknowingly inspiring. Physically I am strong, but emotionally I am stronger. I am confident, empowered, and equipped with tools to both handle difficult situations in the present and create meaning for my life in the future. 

I no longer allow the pressure from the media or from other people stop me from being myself. I use my voice to speak up for myself and to speak out about the issues I care for. Girl's LEAP is about starting a reaction within young girls. We learn to value ourselves and our community and then we go out and change it. 

                                                 ~Jameelah



Will you give by December 31st to help girls like Jameelah build their self-esteem?
$1,000 - Leadership Level            $500 - Empowerment Level
$250 - Partnership Level           $100 - Advocate Level     
$50 - Supporter Level              $___ - Other Amount     

We are counting on your support to reach over 1,000 girls in 2016. Please make your 2015 tax-deductible donation by December 31st.  

We know that when we empower girls and young women to value and champion their own safety and well-being, in turn, they will improve our communities for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment