Thursday, June 4, 2015

Imani's Story

Our Teen Mentors build leadership skills by teaching younger and near-aged girls in Girls' LEAP programs. They also raise community awareness about violence that girls face.  

Meet Imani: She first joined Girls' LEAP as participant and later became a Teen Mentor.


When I was in 9th grade my mother told me I had to go to the Girls’ LEAP program.  I resisted, I didn’t want to go, I didn’t think I needed to learn the “same old self-defense” stuff, but she insisted.  When I got there it wasn’t at all like what I expected.  I was learning about conflict de-escalation and healthy relationships and instantly I became very interested.

I really admired the teen mentors while I was a participant in the program.  Some of the other girls in my group and were sometimes difficult and disrespectful. I thought that if somebody could still be polite and calm after going through so many frustrations, they had to be really strong to do that and I wanted to be that strong.

The next year when my mom told me that Girls’ LEAP was hiring Teen Mentors I applied and got picked.  Training was intense but it was easier for me and I was less nervous because I had been in the program before.

I loved being a Mentor to the younger girls.  I felt really powerful. I had nothing but good experiences with the girls, and I felt like they looked up to me. I remember there was a little girl in a group I helped teach, who gave me her name tag at the end of the session and told me not to forget her.  I won’t.

Girls’ LEAP changed me.  I was already confident in myself when I participated in Girls' LEAP- however I wasn't at all sure in my ability to have a positive impact on others and help them. Even now I'm shocked when somebody says "I want to be like you."

I'm going into my senior year in the fall and honestly I'm a bit unsure about the future. I'm interested in many things, but lately with my involvement in Social Justice and passion for helping people I’ve started think I might want to major in Psychiatry in college.  I also love to draw and want to keep working on my art too.  If I ever get into a confrontational situation, I'll definitely know what to do.

I would tell any girl who was thinking about applying to be a Teen Mentor that sticking it out through training is totally worth it! The Girls' LEAP family is extremely loving and progressive. You'll definitely make friends that you'll keep even years after you're gone.

You can help Girls' LEAP empower more Teen Mentors like Imani each year with your donation
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment