Monday, May 23, 2011

Girls' LEAP Introduces Summer Program Interns!

The success of Girls' LEAP largely depends on the work of our wonderful volunteers and interns.  This summer we are excited to welcome six new women into the Girls' LEAP family.  Four team leaders will guide a group of Teen Mentors through their professional development and two program assistants will work with program managers in the coordination of successful summer programs!

Hi everyone, my name is Dani and I'm going to be a Team Leader this summer. I am currently finishing my sophomore year at Bowdoin College. Through my experiences here I have really discovered my interest in women's studies and women's rights. I am a Gender and Women's Studies major and a Psychology minor. I am really excited to work with all of you this summer! Fun facts: grew up in Boston, played basketball really seriously until my freshman year of college, and am going to Ireland in the fall to study abroad. 

Hello!  My name is Katie and I will also be a Team Leader!  This fall I'll start my senior year at Pitzer College in California.  I created my own major of Social and Community Justice, focusing on women's studies.  I love working with youth and am very excited to do so again this summer!  Fun facts: I worked making teddy bears at Build-A-Bear Workshop for three years, have had 7 different addresses since graduating high school, and am unbelievably obsessed with pasta!

Hey! My name is Katherine and I will be a Team Leader this summer. I am currently a sophomore at Williams College in northwestern Massachusetts, where I’m majoring in English and Psychology. Growing up, playing sports with my three younger brothers was a huge part of my life. I’ve continued to pursue this interest through playing soccer up through high school and rowing and playing club volleyball in college. I have gained a great deal of confidence and direction through athletics, and I’m interested in how participating in athletics empowers women to care for, love, and strengthen their minds and bodies. Fun facts: I grew up in Southern California and I am Japanese, Mexican, and German.

My name is Claire and I'll be a Team Leader this summer. I work with youth in the community where I attend college, called Young Life. It is an outreach program and I work with middle school students, I started being a leader my senior year of high school. I am studying Human Services at Purdue University which is out in Indiana (I feel like I should say "yeehaw" or something). Some fun facts: I've lived in Indiana my whole life, I love Glee, I like to play soccer, I have visited Boston twice before, and I just finished my sophomore year last Saturday. I'm looking forward to being in Boston and meeting all of you!

I am Alex, and I will be the Teen Mentor Program Assistant this summer. I just graduated on Sunday from the University of Richmond with a double major in International Studies and French, and a minor in Women’s Studies. I am really excited to work with Girl's LEAP and all of you, and I am hoping that my experiences this summer will help me determine my next steps as a college graduate. Fun facts: I have a twin brother and two younger brothers, my favorite color is green, and I spent two semesters abroad, one in France and another in Cameroon.

Hello Everyone, my name is Ongachi Fani Simuli, but you can call me Fani. I am happy to be working with all of you as a General Program Assistant.  I really support the mission of Girls' LEAP and feel honored to be a part of this program. I A little about me, let's see...I attend Smith College I am a Psychology major and Religion minor. My hometown is Philadelphia and I hardly eat cheese steaks. I have 8 shades of red nail polish in my room (yes, I would love to paint your nails) and I adore turtles. I don't want to say too much because I need to have some conversation material (as you can see I am full of jokes) but I look forward to seeing everyone in person!! 

P.S. (I hope you can feel the excitement through the double exclamation marks)

No comments:

Post a Comment